Friday, September 30, 2011

If I were a Fairy Princess

I like to read fairy tales.

Don't judge.

I also like classics, sci-fi, mystery, thrillers, etc.  I like to read.  (Not so much drama or romance, though.  ugh)

A recurring plot in fairy tales is one that includes a lost or in-hiding fairy princess that is being raised by good, human parents in a modern world, and she has no idea what her real identity is and blah, blah, blah.

What I want to know is, do authors really imagine that said fairy princess who has been raised speaking our current dialect is going to inexplicably begin speaking in a dialect from the Middle Ages when she arrives in her fairy home after finding out her true identity?

I mean, really. . .

If I were a lost fairy princess (shut up--maybe I am.  YOU'LL never know!) that has found my way "home," I'm not gonna say, "Oh, Father, how I have long wished for this day!"  Or, "Oh, dear.  Sweet sister, dost thou know what hast occurred?"  I'd probably say, "Hey, Dad (assuming that I've accepted the king as my parental figure along with my new-found place in the Land of Faerie), I'm glad you found me!"  Or, "Woah, woah, WOAH!  _____ (insert abbreviation of fairy sister's funky name here b/c I probably wouldn't be able to pronounce it correctly), what the heck just happened?"

Hmmm.

Sweet patrons, I thank you all for your kind interest in my . . .

Oh forget it.

Thanks for reading!

:)

2 comments:

  1. At least you the part right about Dad being King!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you trying to tell me you're a fairy king, Dad? I always knew there was something weird about you! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails