Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My latest project-FINISHED!!!

So, I've been working on this project lately.  A lot.  For a VERY long time.  It's been a big learning process, I've spent too much money, and it was all so worth it!  Check it out!
How CUTE is that!?!  I had so much fun with it!  Here's what I did:

I started by decoupaging a different coordinating paper to each drawer.  It took two pieces of scrapbook paper to cover the drawers, and since I was planning on using ribbon to cover the seams anyway, I just left gap in the middle where the knobs go.

I used these adorable pink glass knobs from Hobby Lobby, and I wanted them to really stand out, so I decoupaged ribbon over gap in the paper.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but the ribbon is a dark brown color with blue thread running down each side.  The little bit of blue in the ribbon pulls the drawers together a little bit more since none of these papers have blue in them.  The ribbon serves many purposes, and it's cute!

Then I put on my ripped up, faded, old jeans and started sanding. 

I sanded, and sanded, and sanded.  (My first project like this-didn't know how much or how little I needed to sand.  So I just sanded until I felt like being done with the thing.)  Thanks for that sander, Dad!

I painted the door blue, and then distressed and aged (?) it with wood stain.  You can see the difference in color where I didn't cover the middle with stain.  I love how the colors turned out!

Once I finished with the painted part of the door, I decoupaged a final piece of coordinating scrapbook paper to the front of the door, and decoupaged a wider version of the same ribbon I used on the drawers to frame the paper.  I only had two pieces of each paper, and it would have taken at least four to cover the door like I did the drawers.  So I improvised.  This paper is where the blue comes in.  I used wood putty to fill in the hole where the original knob was, and sweetly asked my dear dad to drill a new hole for me in the top right corner where the ribbon crossed.

At this point, my puppy was feeling pretty neglected.  He kept trying to entice me to come play with him.  So I did.  How could you say no to this face?

Cute, huh?

Then I painted the cabinet 4 different colors to match the colors in the paper.  I painted the sides pink, the top green, the front (behind the drawers and door) tan, and the trim blue (the same color as the door). When I got to the piece of trim at the bottom of the cabinet, Bently (the dog) decided he just couldn't resist the temptation any more.  He came up the freshly painted piece and THUNK-he nose was blue.  He had blue paint on his face for a while.

I distressed and stained it the same way I did the door.  I don't recommend doing this in your living room.  It stinks.  And I got stain on my favorite pair of socks.  I didn't have much choice, though, since I'd rather do this in my living room and fight off the dog and cats than do this out in the dark garage and fight off of mosquitoes and other bugs.

Finally, I sealed it all, added the knobs, and reassembled the whole sha-bang.  LOVE IT!!!  It's going in my craft room which is decorated in these colors.  Once I get the whole room done, I'll put pictures up of that, too!

I will try to get a better picture later today.  Try.

What do you think?

Addendum: I learned everything I know from my mom.  And no, I didn't put this on here just because she guilted me into it.  It's true.

Visit thecsiproject.com

9 comments:

  1. VERY cute! I LOVE it! You did a great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katrina!! I love it, too! It looks really good in my craft room! I can't wait to get the whole room done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That piece turned out great... love your colors and the papers you decoupaged are so nice. I'm sure you are really proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to say that your doggie is SO Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lori! I am very proud of this piece, actually! It was exactly what I envisioned when I started thinking about redoing it. I'm so happy with the way it turned out!

    And thank you, that little mutt is pretty cute, isn't he? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out so CUTE! Love the colors! They match your blog background! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Yeah, I do seem to have a thing for those colors, huh? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project! Tooo cute. I have an antiques booth and refinish a lot of furniture and found the neatest alternative to sanding, It is called Deglosser, I works great unless you have to get off bumps of layered paint. Stop by and say hi if you get a chance.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantabulous!!!! How unique....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails